Friday, April 23, 2010

Not content

I am embarrassed to even admit this.


About a year ago King Los and I took a trip to South America to the beautiful country of Colombia. We went so that I could meet his father and because he had not seen his father in over 10 years.

I had been to other countries before. Even third world countries. But, no matter how many times you see this kind of poverty you never get used to it.




So how is it that I can sit in this "mansion" and have my heart long for a bigger home?!

It's so strange.

I love saving money! I love yard saling and second hand clothes. I shop at only discount grocery stores and buy my meat in bulk when its on sale. I dislike going out to eat or even to the movie theater.

But,


for some reason I can't seem to be content with my house.


Especially when I see the kind of house I have been dreaming about for awhile for sale. It also happens to be only two blocks from my parents house.

Then I look at these pictures and I feel ashamed. How could I ever sit here and be so ungrateful for what I have recieved?


Lord,
I am sorry! I do not deserve these blessings. Yet you continue to give freely. Forgive me for not being content.

3 comments:

S Club Mama said...

I saw you peeked at my blog so I wanted to return the favor. :)
You know, my husband & I have been talking about houses lately. I want a house of my very own. We rent a nice house for dirt cheap (bc it's a church parsonage so they don't want to make money off of it). I'm sure they'd let me paint if I wanted, but I can't seem to have the desire (or money) to do so in a place if we're only going to eventually leave it (when we buy a house hopefully someday).
But I have a roof over my head, my husband has a good job that doesn't pay much but allows me to stay home with our two wonderful boys. We have enough food to eat and are blessed enough to have commodities like the internet (although no tv lol).
I think our desire to want things we don't "need" comes from our desire to be full. I don't think it's a sin to want a house close to your parents (and a dream house) or for me to want a house even with all the blessings I already have. Having a house means security and stability, something we all desire. As wives, I think part of our responsibilities is to make a house along with a home.
And although others in other countries (including our own) often have much less than us, I don't think God wants us to feel guilt in having some. We just need to be careful of allowing things to take His place.

S Club Mama said...

wow sorry that was a book

Anonymous said...

I struggle with contentment too. I don't struggle with being content about my house, though. It's just...other things. (Like everything else!)

I've decided MY contentment problems stem from trying to fill myself up with "stuff" instead of God. I'm learning to run to Him when I start feeling needy, to let His presence fill up the places I want to fill with "stuff."

I haven't perfected this. I still "want", but I'm making progress.

Thank you for being honest in your journey.

~Jennifer