Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the candlelight dinner


I read this story with King Los on sunday while we were reading through love and respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.

This story touched me.


I want to be this kind of a wife!


Dr. E.V Hill a dynamic minister who served as senior pastor of Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles, lost his wife, Jane, to cancer a few years ago. At her funeral, Dr Hill described some of the ways she had made him a better man. As a struggling young preacher, E.V. had trouble earning a living. E.V. came home one night and found the house dark. When he opened the door, he saw that Jane had prepared a candlelight dinner for two. He thought that was a great idea and went in to the bathroom to wash his hands. He tried unsuccessfully to turn on the light. Then he felt his way into the bedroom and flipped another switch. Darkness prevailed. The young pastor went back to the dining room and asked Jane why the electricity was off. She began to cry. "You work so hard, and we're trying." said Jane, "but it's pretty rough. I didn't have enough money to pay the light bill. I didn't want you to know about it, so i thought we would just eat by candlelight."

Dr Hill described his wife's words with intense emotion. "she could have said, I've never been in this situation before. I was reared in the home of Dr. Caruthers, and we never had our lights cut off." She could have broken my spirit; she could have ruined me; she could have demoralized me. But instead she said, "Somehow or other we'll get these lights back on. But tonight let's eat by candlelight."

1 comment:

Regina Lynn said...

I love that book- and that story. I have such a long way to go when it comes to contentment.