Tuesday, March 16, 2010

VERY Patient




Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out. If you love someone you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7




Patience: Good-natured tolerance of delay or incompetence;Capable of bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance; Understanding.

Starting with patience feels almost like biting more off then i can chew. I am sure no one else struggles with patience. I am also sure i am the only wife that ever taps her foot while "patiently" waiting for her hubby to come and help. Patience is a hard one, yet so crucial to love. I think that is why it is listed first. Patience needs to be a building block for every marriage. There will be so many times when you will need to rely on patience alone to keep you from erupting with anger. I know this more then ever because King los and I function on a different time schedule completely. Especially since he is Colombian. As laid back as they are, they really have no concept of time . After all when his family says we are eating at five that really means more like 8:00. So on Sunday mornings I still have to fight the urge to honk the horn while waiting in the car.(I especially hate being late for church!)

Another issue i think we need to address when dealing with patience with our spouses is the issue of spiritually maturity. I have spoken with many women wishing their husbands would be better leaders of the home and have a better walk with the lord. The definition understanding definitely comes into play here. We need to understand that we can't change our husbands only the holy spirit can. So we need to get on our knees and be praying for them while we wait patiently.
Psalms 37:7 Be still in the presence of the lord and wait patiently for him to act!

When i read the word capable I ask myself am i really capable? I sure want to be. If we aren't patient with our husbands we certainly won't be with our kiddos or anyone else for that matter.
I just love how the Living bible translation says very patient. So today lets not just make do with just being patient but lets be very patient, in all things!

3 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Wise words!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Very good post, especially for me. My H is the impatient one. The man has no patience. none.

I pray for me to have more patience dealing with his impatience.
I will read and reread this post, Thanks.

Unknown said...

I found you today from Sarah Mae.

Thanks for the great reminder.