Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The difference God makes in my choice to stay at home

Since getting preggors I am back to frequenting the pregnancy boards over at the bump.

It seems like everywhere on the internet the hot button topic is Stay at home moms versus working moms.

Here is some of a post I ran across.

"I am totally baffled by how many posters took the stance of "it is so important for me to be home with my child. We will make it work even though my salary pays for important bills." I literally cannot comprehend how someone would think it is OK to quit their job - a job that they admit pays for important bills like car payments, insurance, cell phones, etc - when it clearly isn't financially responsible. How is it responsible to put yourself in a poor financial situation?"

This really stuck out to me because well I'm going to be honest my mind has been spinning with all this fear lately. Financial Fear!

I just have to keep reminding myself, This isn't about finances. It isn't about having a career that makes ME feel fulfilled. This isn't about ME at all. It's about God and for right now this is what God called me to.


Time to suck it up and make some real sacrafices I have been trying to avoid. But, God calls us to give it all to follow him and for me that included my super fulfilling ME career.

The difference in "my decision" is it wasn't really "my decision" at all it is what God called me to do!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Yes. Many of the things people think are necessities are really luxeries. The time you give your children cannot be replaced by having things. Time invested in them is a treasure.

Anonymous said...

Great post.

I had some issues - I STILL need Christ to be content daily - with being a stay-at-home-wife. That is my assignment at this time, and actually has worked well for us. My need for a job wasn't to fulfill me, but to pacify the onlookers who judged me because I didn't have one.

God has supplied your needs before He told you to step out on faith in this area. Be careful who you listen to! Be careful that those pregnancy boards don't drown out God's Voice. What a great calling to stay at home raising godly children.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just followed your link from a comment you'd left on likeawarmcupofcoffee.com. Looks like I'm about 15 months ahead of you on this stay at home journey! And when I read your comment about fear, I want to encourage you: the Scripture says that the Lord has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind. I've noticed that when I find myself reacting with fear, a lack of love, a feeling of panic or a mind muddled by an absence of Godly, scriptural focus I need to adjust some things! And it's such a process...but God is SO faithful. Be encouraged! And I'd suggest maybe staying off the preggo websites...it was hard for me at first but it was SO worth it. Because what God's Word says NEVER has an disclaimer **this doesn't apply when you're pregnant**.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

How would someone ever put the "responsibilities of a car payment" over the responsibilities of raising a child? A child is not a burden or a bill. A child is a gift (most people like getting gifts) from the Lord.
So sad where some people's priorities lie.
I'm so glad that you're a SAHM! :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway.